Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Life's Interruptions Can Make for an Interesting Week!

....So tell me what would you do if these 2 cuties showed up at your front door? Would you turn them away? Or.....would you give them bathes and feed them and play with them? I can tell you this......I didn't turn them away that's for sure! First thing we did was get them into the tub and scrub a dub dub for about an hour. They were both full of stickers, foxtails, puncture vine and dirt...lots of dirt.
I have rescued wandering animals before so I figured I'd do it again and I'm so glad because this story has a happy ending! They showed up on Sunday afternoon and were very friendly so I didn't hesitate in lending a helping hand. After bathes I cooked them up some real chicken, rice and steamed brussel sprouts and they chowed down pretty quickly. I could tell immediately that they came from a loving home as they weren't skiddish or scared of me - this was a huge relief because of the huge "abandoned animal problem" in the town where I live : ( It breaks my heart that there are some people out there that leave their animals to die in the desert. Animal cruelty needs to be a felony that's all there is to it!
Anyway, my little pup Bruiser was very excited to have house guests! All three played for hours and wore each other out which meant a good night sleep for all of us. But now what to do? Hmmm....I was very reluctant to call Animal Control due to the overflowing population of dogs and cats they have there at the rescue. I have heard through the grapevine that any animal that comes in, unclaimed will be put to sleep within 10 days so taking them there was out of the question. Neither of them had a collar or tags so this was a real life Nancy Drew kind of mystery on where they came from. I figured that taking on two more dogs would be very challenging but that it had to be done if worse came to worse. Hubby was supportive of my decision but made it pretty clear that traveling this Summer would be difficult with 3 dogs instead of 1! Yes very true but still we made the decision to keep them if we didn't get a response on Craigslist. So now it's been 2 1/2 days with no response...it's looking more and more likely they've adopted me! I'm happy about this as they have melted my heart into a puddle at this point! Plus Bruiser has been having way too much fun wrestling and cuddling for naps. Well guess what? This morning I had a response to my FOUND DOGS post and it turns out they live only 2 doors down but on the next street over! Great news! Their owner, Carla came over today to pick them up and she about burst into tears when she saw them. it was really sweet. She came to my door with a huge bouquet of flowers and a card too which was so nice of her. We chatted for a couple of hours while the doggies played together and we even made a lunch date for next Wednesday!
It turns out that Gordo (the terrier mix) loves to dig under the fence and that's how those turkeys escaped! Mia the Malti-poo isn't a digger but she is free spirited and likes to explore. I'm just relieved that this story has a happy ending! Plus I made a new friend here in my new town and Bruiser has 2 friends too! All in all a good week here in the desert : )

7 comments:

Kristyne said...

Your halo is very shiny today ;)

Susan said...

Wow what a great story! Btw I LOVE my Hideaway pin cushion!

manda said...

Oh wow! What a story!! I'm so glad it has a happy ending!! We have only just had a dumping, which turned into a feel good news story. Hang on and I'll find the link...

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/story/2011/04/06/pups-left-at-dump-in-hessian-bag-rockhampton/

I used to be Gigi Minor - but now I'm Annie Kight said...

Thanks Kristyne you're so sweet!

Susan I'm so glad you love your pincushion! Hideaway is such a special line and so inspiring for me : )

Mandapanda ~ I can not believe this story! People need to wake up and realize their actions have severe consequences! Thank goodness they were rescued I can sleep better tonight : )

Dawn said...

Oh wow I had tears reading this... so nice to hear good news for a change..and you all made friends... Fabulous...enjoy your catch up
Hugs Dawn x x

Unknown said...

You did a good thing and now they are back home and safe. I agree with the earlier comment...your halo is shiny today. :-)

Eileen {bluebirdluxe} said...

How happy is that story?! It's wonderful! And just a few blocks away...ohh! You really are an angel! :)