Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hexie Pincushion

Okay don't laugh.....this was my first try at Hexies. Since my sewing machine broke I have succumbed to hand stitching projects right now. This little pincushion was "UBER" time consuming and I'm not happy with how she turned out : ( I'm really sad about all of my tiny stitches showing on the top. If you can see through the blurred photo I actually disliked it so much I ran embroidery floss over each side of each hexie to help disguise my stitches! I'm keeping this one for myself as I'm too embarrassed to give it away.
I followed the paper piecing package directions to the "T" and even watched a tutorial on youtube, basted each one and tried not to sew through the paper when stitching the hexies to each other and still this happened. Does anyone have any good links to share with me, tutorials etc? Granted these hexies are very small (1/2 inch sides) ~ perhaps the larger ones are little easier to deal with? Help!

8 comments:

Dawn said...

Looks great and cute as...
a tip for doing the stitching...I use a reverse ladder stitch instead of the usual stitch and then I have no showing stitches...hope this helps...
Hugs Dawn x x x

I used to be Gigi Minor - but now I'm Annie Kight said...

Thanks Dawn! Okay so the ladder stitch is a new one for me - I just watched a tutorial and love it! But now what do you mean about a "reverse" ladder stitch? Does this mean you are working towards you vs. away from you?

Joy said...

Your thread and needle choices could also be why you can see your stitches. I use 'Bottom Line' thread and No. 11 'straw' needles. That thread is lovely and fine and even using a whip-stitch you can hardly see the stitches on the front :o).
Hugs,
Joy :o)

I used to be Gigi Minor - but now I'm Annie Kight said...

Thank you Joy! Great advice : ) I will look into both the thread and the needles : ) I never really pay attention to thread or needles but I can see for very small projects I will need to!

Kristyne said...

Here are a few of my tips:

Use silk thread - very fine & strong and practically invisible! Use a neutral color.

I think your needle is grabbing too much fabric. If you want to use the whip stitch, try to just catch 2 or 3 threads along the fold of each hexie. (Never tried the ladder, sounds good, though).

Pull stitches snugly, but not TOO tight.

So uber cute!! I love littles :)

Little Creatable said...

I would say use a 1" Hexie and try to loosen your stitches a little. Btw I think it's beautiful!

I used to be Gigi Minor - but now I'm Annie Kight said...

Thanks Kristyne I'll try less fabric in my stitches : )
To Little Creatable ~ Thank you for your comment ~ I do have a package of 1 inchers so I'm going to do that next!

Eileen {bluebirdluxe} said...

Gigi! It's adorable and tiny! Hello 1/2"?! I don't think I could even do a 2" hexie without my glasses. Oh yeah, and you can send it way any day! :) I've been wanting to make hexies and I love this tutorial http://alamodefabric.blogspot.com/2011/03/grandmothers-flower-garden-tutorial.html

p.s. how did I miss your bluebird at your shop?? :)