Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mermaid Candy Pin Toppers

 This is a very new direction for me as far as pin topper designs.  Usually I am dreaming up a fairytale mushroom design or a new cupcake piled with frosting. I think what turned the corner for me was last week when I debuted my vintage inspired buttons. Each one is made from polymer clay and some have different layers of paint that has been sanded in some parts to make them appear "patina"-ed. As I was painting these pretty gems and highlighting them I kept thinking of mermaids in the ocean swimming around an old vintage ship wreck finding treasure. Each pin is like a little piece of mermaid candy. I have 15 different styles available in the shop now : )

With all this talk of mermaids & treasure I had to set up a mini photo shoot entitled: Ship Wrecked

P.S. I know many of you are probably like me in that what you listen to during your creative time really reflects what you end up making. Here's a snippet of what I was listening to while creating Mermaid Candy:
A Christopher Mills animated short film set to "Collect Call", from the album FANTASIES by Metric. If you like paper dolls I'm sure you'll appreciate this short film : )

Mermaid Candy was featured on Paper Cake Finds Today! Check it out!

2 comments:

Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane said...

I found your site through Paper Cake Finds - these are absolutely gorgeous, thought I might drop by and say so! :)

Robin Hartman said...

I love the new direction you are taking with your designs but I still love your Alice in Wonderland painting the roses red pins.