Friday, May 20, 2011

Easy Lemon Bundt Cake

Here's another super duper easy recipe for lemon bundt cake. I made up this recipe and have never had any complaints : )

For those who like to cheat a little when baking this is a great fast cake to make! This is what you'll need:

Hands On Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time 45 mins - 1 hr.
Servings 12-14

Description: The Bomb!

Ingredients for Cake:
1 package yellow Cake Mix (Duncan Hines is always my favorite)
1 (3 3/4 oz) package Jello-O Vanilla Pudding
4 eggs
1/2 c. cold water
1/2 c. canola oil or any other cooking oil
1/2 c. fresh squeezed lemon juice and the zest of all the lemons you use (usually about 2-3 lemons total)

Glaze:
1 stick of butter
1/4 c. water
1 c. sugar
1/4- 1/2 c fresh squeezed lemon juice (some people like very tart - some like less tart - it doesn't really matter in this recipe if you use less or more - it's totally up to you!

Preheat oven: 325 degrees
Grease a bundt pan with your favorite spray - I love Baker's Joy
Mix all cake ingredients together - if you don't want to bust out your Kitchen Aid mixer you can whisk by hand about 2 minutes - a good arm workout!

Pour batter into pan and pop in the hot oven.
Bake 45 mins. to 1 hr. depending on your oven. I find at 45 mins. my cake tester comes out perfect but since you are baking at a lower temperature yours could take a wee bit longer.

After your cake is done, cool on a wire rack in the pan for about an hour. Invert into a nice deep pie dish - hopefully you have a little space around the edge (not much but just a little).

While your cake is baking is a good time to cook up your glaze.
Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in the sugar AND then the water last (be careful it doesn't splatter on you. Pouring water into hot fat can hurt : ( Just go slow........Bring to a boil and keep it boiling for 5 minutes. It will be nice and bubbly. Stir constantly. Remove from heat and LET COOL for about 10-15 minutes. Then add your fresh lemon juice. Make sure to not add the lemon juice right after you take it off the stove because you'll burn off all the yummy lemon oil. I like to take my cake tester and poke a lot of holes into the bundt (go all the way to the bottom). The more holes the better! Baste your cake with the the lemon glaze. I like to pour a little pool into the center of the bundt and then keep basting all over the sides and top until it's absorbed. There have been many times when I baste over a couple of hours instead of all at once. That way the glaze has time to really soak in : )

This cake tastes delicious by itself or with fresh cut strawberries mixed with a little sugar : ) And of course fresh whipped cream is always wonderful too!
morning glory vine from my garden looks stunning against the yellow don't you think?


 






2 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Sounds delish!! I think I will make it for our next family gathering. Thanks for sharing!

Kristyne said...

Oh yum! But can I confess my favorite part of this post is the morning glory? I really love that flower. Not very common around here. I only managed to grow them once. But my MIL has a great south exposure and does quite well with them.